Access Photo contest
2014 IEEE Day Photo Contest Official Rules
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING.
Eligibility: The contest is open to IEEE Organizational Unit (OU) (Student Branch, Chapter, Affinity Group, Section, etc.) (Entrants) . Employees of Sponsor, their family members, and direct vendors of Sponsor are prohibited from entering. Individual members are prohibited from submitting entries. Entrants are subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited by law.
Sponsor: The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Incorporated, 445 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, New Jersey, USA, 08854 (“Sponsor”)
Agreement to Official Rules: By participating in this contest, Entrants agree to abide by the terms and conditions thereof as established by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right to alter any of these Official Rules at any time and for any reason. All decisions made by Sponsor concerning the Contest shall be final and at its sole discretion.
How to Enter: Entrants must include codes and submitters IEEE membership numbers.
Entries should relate to the theme “Leveraging Technology for a Better Tomorrow.”
● Be original photographs (no edits, no photo shopped entries, no logo added, etc.),
● Ensure that their submissions are in compliance with all the legal and copyright requirements, including permission of those in the photograph;
● Include IEEE members;
● Not exceed the max file size 20MB and be submitted in .gif, .jpg, or .jpeg format;
● Include their name, IEEE eight digit member number, OU, email address, Section, Region and date of birth;
• Be submitted using a supported browser (Firefox: FF 24 and above, Internet Explorer: IE 10 and above, Chrome: C 31 and above, or Safari: S 6 and above) or operating system (Windows: Win7, Win8, Win, MAC: OS, Mobile: IOS 6 and above, Android 2.3.3 and above)
• Display the IEEE Day 2014 logo or IEEE day 2014 T-shirt in the photo. Editing IEEE Day logo on the original photo will be result in disqualification;
• You must submit your event on the events map to be able to participate in the photo contest
● Entrant may only submit up to 3 photos.
Entry Period: The contest begins on Tuesday, October 14, 2014 00.00 UTC and ends on Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 00.00 UTC. Entries received before or after the entry period are void.
• Selection of Winners: The Prize Winners will be selected by two different methods based on the categories: The top three prizes (1st,2nd and 3rd prizes) will be awarded from the highest number of votes per category and other category prizes (The Best Humanitarian Activity, The Best Technical Activity, The Best Professional Development Activity, The Most Creative Photo, The Most Energetic Photo, The Largest Gathering, The Best Photo Including “Landmark”) will be also be decided by public votes, most Likes in each category. If the top photo is in one of these categories then the photo with the next highest votes will be awarded the prize for their respective category. The odds of winning depend on the number of entries received.
Voting shall be done in the following manner:
● To vote, you must have either a Facebook account or have registered at Votigo;
● Voters do not need to be members of IEEE;
● Voters are allowed to like more than one photo;
● Each voter can vote for a photo only once.
Voters shall use the criteria in voting:
● Relation to the theme “Leveraging Technology for a Better Tomorrow”;
● How the photo shows IEEE members in action (at work, at university, in a lab, in a classroom etc.) or at an IEEE Day event;
● Creativity and originality.
Intellectual Property: By submitting an entry to the contest Entrant certifies that they are the exclusive rights holder of the Entry. Where necessary, Entrant has acquired all necessary permissions for use or reuse of any part of the Entry. Entrant shall indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor for any infringement caused by Entry. Entrant agrees to and acknowledges the completion of the IEEE Photo Release. Sponsor shall not gain any ownership interest in the Entry. Entrant grants Sponsor an irrevocable, world-wide, royalty free license to use, reproduce, and distribute the Entry in all media whether now known or herein after created.
Notification of Potential Prize Winners: The Prize Winners will be notified by e-mail or telephone within 10 days of the selection date. If a Prize Winner does not acknowledge acceptance of the Prize within 10 business days after being notified that he or she is a Prize Winner, another Prize Winner will be chosen using the same procedure specified above.
Requirements of Prize Winner: A Prize Winner may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability and publicity release, wherever lawful, as a precondition to award of the Prize. If a Prize Winner fails to sign and return the requested documents to Sponsor, that Prize Winner may be disqualified, and the Prize will thereafter be awarded to an alternate, randomly-selected Prize Winner from the remaining valid entries using the procedure specified above.
Prize: The IEEE Section that the Entrants belongs to shall be considered the Prize Winners and may receive the following, depending upon the photo category and prize place:
Overall Photo Contest
1st Prize: $750
2nd Prize: $500
3rd Prize: $350
Best Humanitarian Activity: $500
Best Technical Activity: $500
Best Professional Development Activity: $500
Most Creative: $250
Most Energy: $250
Largest Gathering: $250
Best Landmark Event: $250
Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the Prize Winner. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a different Prize of approximately equivalent value in its sole discretion.
All prize amounts are in US dollars.
Release, Publicity, and Privacy: By receipt of the Prize and by signing an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release, if requested, the Prize Winner consents to the use of his or her name, business name and address by Sponsor for advertising and promotional purposes, including but not limited to on Sponsor’s social media pages, without any additional compensation, except where prohibited. No entries will be returned. All entries become the property of Sponsor. The Prize Winner agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor and its officers, directors, employees, affiliated companies, agents, successors and assigns from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the contest.
Sponsor assumes no responsibility for computer system, hardware, software or program malfunctions or other errors, failures, delayed computer transactions or network connections that are human or technical in nature, or for damaged, lost, late, illegible or misdirected entries; technical, hardware, software, electronic or telephone failures of any kind; lost or unavailable network connections; fraudulent, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions whether caused by Sponsor, the users, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this contest; or by any technical or human error that may occur in the processing of submissions or downloading, that may limit, delay or prevent an entrant’s ability to participate in the contest.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend this contest and award a prize from entries received up to the time of termination or suspension should virus, bugs or other causes beyond Sponsor’s control, unauthorized human intervention, malfunction, computer problems, phone line or network hardware or software malfunction, which, in the sole opinion of Sponsor, corrupt, compromise or materially affect the administration, fairness, security or proper play of the contest or proper submission of entries. Sponsor is not liable for any loss, injury or damage caused, whether directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from downloading data or otherwise participating in this contest.
Disputes: EACH ENTRANT AGREES THAT: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS, AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZES AWARDED, SHALL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORTING TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION, PURSUANT TO ARBITRATION CONDUCTED UNDER THE COMMERCIAL ARBITRATION RULES OF THE AMERICAN ARBITRATION ASSOCIATION THEN IN EFFECT, (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED, INCLUDING COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THIS CONTEST, BUT IN NO EVENT ATTORNEYS’ FEES; AND (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN AWARDS FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, AND ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN FOR ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES, AND ANY AND ALL RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED. ALL ISSUES AND QUESTIONS CONCERNING THE CONSTRUCTION, VALIDITY, INTERPRETATION AND ENFORCEABILITY OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES, OR THE RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF ENTRANT AND SPONSOR IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST, SHALL BE GOVERNED BY, AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH, THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY, WITHOUT GIVING EFFECT TO ANY CHOICE OF LAW OR CONFLICT OF LAW, RULES OR PROVISIONS (WHETHER OF THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY OR ANY OTHER JURISDICTION) THAT WOULD CAUSE THE APPLICATION OF THE LAWS OF ANY JURISDICTION OTHER THAN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY. SPONSOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY TYPOGRAPHICAL OR OTHER ERROR IN THE PRINTING OF THE OFFER OR ADMINISTRATION OF THE CONTEST OR IN THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE PRIZES.
Contest Results and Official Rules: To obtain the identity of the Prize Winner and/or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to Denise Maestri, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Incorporated (“IEEE”), 445 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, New Jersey, USA, 08854